Re: [pygame] Mac OS X?

On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 08:12 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:

> OK.  But config.py finds /sw/bin/sdl-config, which I can't imagine
> helps.
> I guess I should uninstall fink's SDL...

Or take it out of your path.

>>>  running pygame under aqua
>>
>> This works, although it's a bit rough around the edges.  The latest CVS
>> pygame (without some of the goodies that come from the SDL_* libraries)
>> should build with the latest CVS version of SDL.
>
> Ah.  I currently have the latest releases of both sitting around --
> you're saying their not new enough?  Fair enough.

I'm not saying that there are patches since the release of SDL 1.2.4 and
pygame 1.5 that improve Mac OS X functionality.  I don't know whether
there are or not.  I do know that the patch I sent Pete should get
pygame to compile (possibly after you comment out a few lines in Setup),
which it won't do with release 1.5 without adventures in distutils or
command line compilation (humans were not meant to be makefiles!).

> Also what sort of Python should I build?  A framework build?  Or
> should I try to use the MacPython distro?

A framework Python is what I've had luck with.  It seems to be the
de-facto standard for Mac OS X. I don't think MacPython is working with
Tkinter right now.

> I might resort to that... I actually want to *use* pygame, not hack on
> it... but I'll try getting it build first.

Yeah, sod this bloody hacking the libraries junk!  Let's build our
applications (or games, as the case may be)! :)

Seriously, I can only hope and expect that as OS X matures, more and
more ports will get more and more polished.  For example, SDL has come a
long way very quickly.  Pygame still has a few hiccups, but once we get
some more Mac OS X folks who can't live without it, I hope the wrinkles
will get ironed out.  I'll probably feel inspired to do some pygame
hacking again at some point...  If I knew something about
Cocoa/Objective C, that might help, too!  I'm personally awaiting Aqua
XEmacs.  That's the only reason I ever boot up XFree86 anymore...  It's
strange and amazing to me that here I am using unix, but it's a mac and
there are no X windows! And yet all of my gnu tools are going through
their routine paces just as happy as ever.