Re: [pygame] Mac OS X?

Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@adelaide.edu.au> writes:

> On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 08:12 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> > OK.  But config.py finds /sw/bin/sdl-config, which I can't imagine
> > helps.
> > I guess I should uninstall fink's SDL...
>
> Or take it out of your path.

Yes.

> >> This works, although it's a bit rough around the edges.  The latest CVS
> >> pygame (without some of the goodies that come from the SDL_* libraries)
> >> should build with the latest CVS version of SDL.
> >
> > Ah.  I currently have the latest releases of both sitting around --
> > you're saying their not new enough?  Fair enough.
>
> I'm not saying that there are patches since the release of SDL 1.2.4 and
> pygame 1.5 that improve Mac OS X functionality.  I don't know whether
> there are or not.  I do know that the patch I sent Pete should get
> pygame to compile (possibly after you comment out a few lines in Setup),
> which it won't do with release 1.5 without adventures in distutils or
> command line compilation (humans were not meant to be makefiles!).

Well, I've compiled pygame more or less by hand (against fink's SDL
and fink's python) but it crashes spectacularly whenever I try to do
anything with it...  how do you invoke pygame?

> > Also what sort of Python should I build?  A framework build?  Or
> > should I try to use the MacPython distro?
>
> A framework Python is what I've had luck with.  It seems to be the
> de-facto standard for Mac OS X. I don't think MacPython is working with
> Tkinter right now.

Do you need Tkinter?  I'm really behind here.

> > I might resort to that... I actually want to *use* pygame, not hack on
> > it... but I'll try getting it build first.
>
> Yeah, sod this bloody hacking the libraries junk!  Let's build our
> applications (or games, as the case may be)! :)

Indeed.

> Seriously, I can only hope and expect that as OS X matures, more and
> more ports will get more and more polished.  For example, SDL has come a
> long way very quickly.  Pygame still has a few hiccups, but once we get
> some more Mac OS X folks who can't live without it, I hope the wrinkles
> will get ironed out.  I'll probably feel inspired to do some pygame
> hacking again at some point...  If I knew something about
> Cocoa/Objective C, that might help, too!

Indeed.  I want to learn, but there's the usual time problems.

Apparently there's a book on "Mac OS X for Unix Programmers" due from
O'Reilly soon.  I suspect I'll be buying that.

> I'm personally awaiting Aqua XEmacs.  That's the only reason I ever
> boot up XFree86 anymore...  It's strange and amazing to me that here
> I am using unix, but it's a mac and there are no X windows! And yet
> all of my gnu tools are going through their routine paces just as
> happy as ever.

I still prefer xterm's to Terminal.app, and I use the Other Emacs, but
generally I agree.

Cheers,
M.