[pygame] newbie question--> rendeing order

hi all,

i am new to pygame and phyton. i have a question that could be
stupid for somebody with more experience. i have tried to read
documentation and search for solutions on the net ut no luck. So
there is goes:
I was wondering if there is some way to change the rendering order
of a group of sprites "on the fly". I want to bring the clicked sprite
above the others.
So far i have manage to do it by storing a reference of the sporites
in a list, change the order of that list, remove all objects from the
rendering group and adding the whole list back again to the group.

I was looking for some way to access the sprites in the group and
change the order directly. Pop the sprite that goes to the top and
append it to the group again or sthg similar

btw. my goal is to create in pygame interfaces that communicate to
Pure Data (visual sound programming environment). and i was
wondering which methods i could use to achive bidirectional
comumnication from Phyton to PD. Any suggestions are welcome.

many thanks in advance