[pygame] Python enumerations

There seem to be lots of ways of implementing enumerations in Python.

There's the obvious integer-based way:
  APPLE=1
  PEACH=2

But in Python its just as easy to define them as strings:
  APPLE='APPLE'
  PEACH='PEACH'
which makes debugging easier.

Some people even make complicated types, like this one:
  http://www.norvig.com/python-iaq.html
  (scroll down to "Enumerated Types")

But which way is best? Does anyone have experience with several and want
to recommend something? In particular, does using non-integer
enumerations have a measurable impact on performance?

--
   Presumably, we're all fully qualified computer nerds here,
   so we are allowed to use "access" as a verb. Be advised,