Re: [pygame] 1.7 releases?

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 14:30 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:23 pm, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > > I propose that it goes into 1.7 as an optional font, and in 1.8 it
> > > becomes the default font. How does that sit with people?
> >
> > Why make the default in 1.8? You've made a transition period, but no
> > transition plan.
>
> That was my transition plan. I'm probably missing something though.

If we make a clean break between 1.7 and 1.8 there's no reason not to
make a clean break between 1.6 and 1.7. Historically (in Python) the way
such things have been done is to throw warnings for a while and support
a flag to enable the new behavior. That would be a bit overkill for one
font, so might I suggest a new API:

$ python
>>> import pygame.font; pygame.font.init()
>>> pygame.font.default
None
>>> pygame.font.Font(None, 28) # ugly font at size 28
>>> pygame.font.default = "bitstream-vera-sans" # or whatever
>>> pygame.font.Font(None, 28) # bitstream at size 28

In 1.7 pygame.font.default stays "None" after init, and means we get the
current default font. In 1.8 it switches to "bitstream-vera" but
existing programs can merely do 'pygame.font.default = None' and get the
old behavior back. Furthermore, this is backwards-compatible since
'pygame.font.default = None' is merely a no-op in 1.6.

> You seem determined to not have the font included. Given the lack of positive
> voices, I'm willing to drop the idea (though normally I would wait 24 hours
> to allow other timezones to chime in). I'll just put up with pygame having a
> visually awful default font.

I'm not objecting to it being included; I'm objecting to it being the
default and only font. I wouldn't mind including it *along with* the
default font.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>