Re: [pygame] 1.7 releases?

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 08:16 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:39 pm, R. Alan Monroe wrote:
> > > I'll just put up with pygame having a
> > > visually awful default font.
> >
> > Can you dig up a font editor and beautify the default one a bit?
>
> The reason I call it ugly is because it's aliased. An aliased font sticks out
> like a sore thumb these days. The Vera font is a TT font and therefore can be
> antialiased. There's really no getting around that by any editing the default
> font.

Pygame's font is a TrueType font, and can be antialiased (antialiasing
is a property of the renderer, not the font). I think the distinction
you're looking for is "hinted" versus "unhinted". However, font hinting
is under a number of patents and may not work with SDL's renderer
anyway.

It should be possible to make Pygame's font look better at stay the same
size, even without hinting. It's mostly just a really bad font.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>