Re: [pygame] Animated sprites

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 07:09 -0500, luke wrote:

> >Does loading an sequence of animation strips from a single file take
> >up less memory than loading up each frame from its own file. I know
> >they take less time to load from the HDD, but I don't see how they
> >could take up less memory...
>
> uhm...
> I believe that JPEGs and other image compression algorithms create
> "dictionaries"
> or "tables"
> like a zip file does...

However, once the file is in memory, it is uncompressed and encoded in
per-pixel RGB/RGBA form. The only way it would take less memory is if
the overhead for a subsurface is less than the overhead for a real
surface. Even if that's true, it's probably minimal enough not to matter
(certainly both are dwarfed by the overhead from the Surface Python
object).
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>