Re: [pygame] Embedding pygame into wxPython

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 08:55 +0200, Alexander 'boesi' BÃsecke wrote:
> I'd like to embed a pygame surface into a wxPython-Panel. With the code
> from [1] it's no big deal.
>
> The attached code works on WinXP and W2k with Python 2.4.2 and pygame
> 1.7.1. And it works on WinXP with Python 2.3.5 and pygame 1.6.
>
> But on W2k it crashes with Python 2.3.5 and pygame 1.6 with the
> following error:
>
> ---snip---
> Pygame Parachute Traceback:
>   File "simple_pygame.py", line 15, in __init__
> Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
>
> abnormal program termination
> ---snap---

On windows, when you set the SDL_WINDOWID environment variable. Also set
SDL_VIDEODRIVER to "windib". The directx backend crashes pretty good
when embedded. I think the newest of the new SDL's defaults to windib
instead of directx. I think it was generally agreed apon that the
directx mode (using directx 5) was a bit crusty.