[pygame] pygame.error: SDL_ttf render failed

Hi.
I just recently noticed that I keep getting this error on a game that
I am making:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "main.py", line 176, in ?
   main()
 File "main.py", line 141, in main
   runGame()
 File "main.py", line 80, in runGame
   endState = currentLevel.run()
 File "/home/therat/Desktop/bibledave_v0.6.4.3/basegamelevel.py",
line 649, in run
   self.hud.paint(self.screen)
 File "/home/therat/Desktop/bibledave_v0.6.4.3/hud.py", line 81, in paint
   base.drawTextColored (surface, 24, draw_text, (w/8, (h-h/4) +
(line_num - min) * 30), (self.drawTextColor, self.drawTextColor,
self.drawTextColor))
 File "/home/therat/Desktop/bibledave_v0.6.4.3/base.py", line 113, in
drawTextColored
   orig = font.render(message, 0, fontcolor)
pygame.error: SDL_ttf render failed

When text is displayed on the hud it is supposed to fade out but the
game crashes and displays this error instead. I have no idea how this
happened because the game used to work fine one day and the next it
began to crash.

One other issue I have noticed is that pygame.init() takes forever to
load (whether solar wolf or some of the pygame demos).

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe
--
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!!! chown -r us ./base

"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless.'' --
Tao of Programming Book 2