Re: [pygame] [RFC] clipboard support for various data types

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:33 AM, Marcus von Appen wrote:

as I already discussed with Rene and the one or other on #pygame,
an easy to use image support for the pygame.scrap clipboard
implementation is needed.

Currently it only accepts strings, which - although it allows
e.g. buffered surfaces - does not ensure interoperability with other
applications like Gimp, image viewers and whatever else.

The Mac OS X implementation accepts text (unicode or ASCII str) and bitmap data (SDL surfaces). It has no problems whatsoever interoperating with other applications. Even a PDF on the clipboard will be coerced to a bitmap, and rich text should be converted to plain text.

I don't know how hard this is on other platforms, but the Mac OS X implementation is feature complete and interoperable with all other applications in all of the ways that people expect them to be.

-bob