Re: [pygame] Using PyOpenGL for 2D graphics

On 7/8/07, Jasper <jasper@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Using openGL for 2D allows you to take advantage of 3D graphics cards
for smooth scrolling and zooming, or to tilt otherwise 2D game boards
into 2D.  I also suspect that it'll let you handle more objects on the
screen at once (especially if they're duplicates), although I haven't
done comparison tests for this.

into 3D, but yes.

I posted some code along these lines several years ago, extended from
something that Bob Ippolito had posted earlier.  Search through the
archives and you should come across something.  If there is enough
interest, I can also post my more recent code, but it's a bit more
special case, lacking in simple examples, and probably more involved
than someone new to OpenGL is looking for (it includes things like
texture tiling, texture animation, billboarding, display list
optimization, etc).

The NeHe tutorials are pretty good (even though their programming style
is weak).  You only really need the first 10 or so to get started;
afterwards you can look at the later ones and still follow what they're
doing, even if they aren't in Python.

-Jasper