Re: [pygame] Using PyOpenGL for 2D graphics

Yes, display lists were the single thing that increased my speed as well- tripling it to over 60fps with huge maps and objects with my thousands of quads (I really must start using triangles).

On 7/8/07, Dave LeCompte (really) <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Making lots of calls to glVertex() from Python will
> be inefficient, even more so than it would in C, due to the
> slowness of Python function calls.

And it's not just the Python function calls (which we know are slow) - the
PyOpenGL wrapper actually does error checking for you on every call, so it
can raise an assertion if something goes wrong. The overhead of this error
checking adds to the function call slowness.

Even more reason to use display lists or otherwise group your data.

-Dave LeCompte