Re: [pygame] Using PyOpenGL for 2D graphics

On 7/8/07, Jasper <jasper@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ian Mallett wrote:
> On 7/8/07, *Jasper* <jasper@xxxxxxxx <mailto:jasper@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Using openGL for 2D allows you to take advantage of 3D graphics cards
>     for smooth scrolling and zooming, or to tilt otherwise 2D game boards
>     into 2D.  I also suspect that it'll let you handle more objects on the
>     screen at once (especially if they're duplicates), although I haven't
>     done comparison tests for this.
>

> into 3D, but yes.

Right, sorry about that.

OK, just making sure :-)

Also, to chime in with further posts after the one I replied to:
In my experience OpenGL also performs vastly better than straight SDL.
I routinely have hundreds of sprites on screen animated at 60 FPS, even
while smoothly zooming/panning large textured maps, which SDL just
doesn't handle.

-Jasper