[pygame] Guidelines for sound?

Hi,

Are there any guidelines on how to use/configure soundfx/music in pygame
without getting crack n' pops or lag.

I know this is probably an SDL-issue but I know that several people has
looked at this problem.

Are there any best practices for choosing Sampling rate, Sample size, Buffer
size etc.?

Right now I avoid using sound/music in my games because I can't get it to
work properly. I might be able to tweak the settings to get it to play
alright on my Ubuntu laptop...but then it won't work on my XP laptop and
vice versa.

Besides "normal" projects I plan to do some games for blind and visual
impaired users and then the sound is crucial.

Help!

Best Regards
/John