Re: [pygame] BUG cd audio

I'm guessing this isn't going to work for you. Traditionally, CDROM drives used an external cable to connect sound directly from the CDROM drive to the sound card. (They also had their own headphone jacks). With this system the CDROM could play audio without any help from the computer. This is the system that SDL was written to use.

About the time technology switched to DVDROM drives, playback of audio CDs worked a bit differently. Nowadays the computer reads the audio data directly, and streams that like a music file. This has some advantages, but is not at all supprted by SDL.

It seems times have moved on, but SDL (and Pygame) have not caught up. But this is not so much an issue these days. I can't even remember the last game that used audio cd tracks for sound. I would not recommend this for any new game development.

Tyler Distad wrote:
On a Dell Inspiron E1505 running  Ubuntu 8.04 with PyGame 1.8 does not
play CD audio as expected.

The following code results in the CD track apparently playing, but
without audio. The CD spins up for a length of time equaling that of
the track length. All other sound functionality on the computer works
perfectly.