Re: [pygame] BUG cd audio

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Peter Shinners <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm guessing this isn't going to work for you. Traditionally, CDROM drives
> used an external cable to connect sound directly from the CDROM drive to the
> sound card. (They also had their own headphone jacks). With this system the
> CDROM could play audio without any help from the computer. This is the
> system that SDL was written to use.
>
> About the time technology switched to DVDROM drives, playback of audio CDs
> worked a bit differently. Nowadays the computer reads the audio data
> directly, and streams that like a music file. This has some advantages, but
> is not at all supprted by SDL.
>
> It seems times have moved on, but SDL (and Pygame) have not caught up. But
> this is not so much an issue these days. I can't even remember the last game
> that used audio cd tracks for sound. I would not recommend this for any new
> game development.

*sigh* Thanks. That's about what I had figured. Everything I looked at
pointed in that direction, but no one came right out and said it.
Thanks for clarifying so well.

 I'm not actually developing a game, but a CD player/ripper. I've been
experimenting with various python Audio CD tools, and I've decided
they just don't exist. pyMedia has too many bugs. I gave up after
patching the first one and getting lost in bad code during the second.
And Pygame is demonstrably unable to play my CDs. (Of course, it can't
rip them, either, but I realize that's not its intended purpose.)

Looks like I'll be outsourcing my ripping work to ABCDE. Not sure yet
what I'll do on the playing side of things. Something will turn up.

Again, I appreciate the explanation.