Re: [pygame] Re: [OLPC-Games] PyQNet project on Launchpad

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:06:15 +1000, "René Dudfield" <renesd@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> For the pygame 1.9+ release we would really like to get networking
> library routines in :)  Something that's simple, and has been used
> successfully in at least 2 games( 1 by the author, and 1 by someone
> else) would be nice.  Getting your library ready for ludumdare.com
> (august 8-10), and pyweek.org (sept 31st) would allow other people to
> try it out by making games.

I'm interested in the idea of Pygame getting some sort of networking
library that's as easy to set up as existing Pygame tools. Being able to
pass along messages through the event stack, as suggested, would be nice.

What would you suggest if I wanted to try a simple networked board game
with Pygame, something in which:
-Speed/lag is unimportant
-The license is public domain, GPL, or similar
-The code is simple to work with (ideally "import server; IP =
server.StartServer()")
-It supports having a non-dedicated server with multiple clients, so that I
can say "I'm hosting a game at IP 127.0.0.1:8888; join in!" and have people
join by typing that in and hitting a "Connect" button; and
-Setting up a server is as simple for the user as hitting a "Start Server"
button and telling people where to connect.

I'm thinking of the "Setlers of Catan" board game clone "Sea3D," which has
such an easy-to-use networking interface. Is there code out there that can
meet those requirements?