Re: [pygame] Perlin Noise Function

exactly. I think this is one of the main uses for pygame. And how many
fun little 2 week 2d games really need/use a perlin noise function?
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on the answer to that question.

Don't think I can a agree to something that I have no idea of the answer to. :-)

As far as graphics are concerned, that is covered very well all over the net and you can do all sorts of cool things with it. . I think a great research project would be to see how it can be used for movement in 2d and why it might be better than just plane random functions.

A bunch of links to perlin noise used to make graphics.
http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/facedemo/
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mzucker/code/perlin-noise-math-faq.html

This is more what I was thinking about. It uses Perlin to make 2d look life like and not so compter like. This is what Perlin does, simulate life like graphics and movement.
http://www.kelvinluck.com/assets/perlin_noise_experiments/#section19

Relating back to grid based proximity and sort of cool too.
http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2005/02/source_code_gri.html

--
Douglas E Knapp