Re: [pygame] Perlin Noise Function

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would argue that Perlin is a simple function and in no way comes close to
> the complexity of a GUI. That said, I have always wished that Pygame had a
> gui that was as good as the rest of it. I have found all the GUI's that I
> have tried that are refrenced on the web site to be lacking (I did this a
> few years ago, I am sure they have improved).

I'm talking not about the complexity involved in developing or using
it. By basic functionality I mean things
that a majority or at least a substantial amount of game devs will
need and/or make use of. I don't see that with noise functions.

> As for people not using it, I am sure that is because they don't understand
> it well or how it could be useful.  A good doc with some examples would go a
> long way towards changing that.

I think you hit the source of the problem right there. Using Perlin
noise in game development is a relatively arcane/advanced
subject, something that not many people know how, why and when to use.
And yes, if you show them a something really cool making use of this
and then explain how they can make really cool things using it, then
they will be enthusiastic. I recommend you go do that.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>After 20 years of programming, I am happy to let someone else do the math and hard core coding. I really like the top level designing. I do >the rest only when I must. My current project is a movie with blender 3d and the a 3d game based on the movie art. Lots of fun. I use >pygame mostly for testing little ideas or 2 write the fun little 2 week 2d game.

exactly. I think this is one of the main uses for pygame. And how many
fun little 2 week 2d games really need/use a perlin noise function?
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on the answer to that question.