Re: [pygame] Python 3.0 to be backwards incompatible ?

Existing games would be run using python 2.x, which will be available in perpetuity. Python 2.6 has a facility to warn you about use of python features not supported in 3.0, plus there will supposedly be tools to help with migration.

I suspect python 2.x will continue to be maintained for years to come, however, given its installed base and community.

As for the headache, it will be short-lived I think once a final version of 3.0 ships (betas are already out). IMO it's better than having to deal with the warts Python has accumulated over the years for all eternity.

Note that there are few fundamental language changes in 3.0 and it is not a rewrite (hence how it came to be so quickly), so I don't think the pain of the transition will not linger long. People will need to choose whether to migrate their projects (pygame and otherwise) to 3.0 or stick with 2.x. You might find this PEP useful which talks about things that aren't changing in 3.0:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3099/

I suspect libraries like pygame that are currently maintained will make the leap to python 3.0 eventually, the question is when.

I don't know if it makes sense to start a 3.0-compatible branch of pygame now that 1.8.1 is out. It's a pain to work in multiple branches, but seems inevitable unless you simply abandon 2.x compatibility at some juncture.

-Casey