Re: [pygame] are individual midi instruments sounds copyrighted

On 18 July 2010 16:06, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't agree with your interpretation. I think they are referring to prerecorded songs in the bundled software or the songs that come on the piano.

 By their own words, they are referring to "WAVE data" and "sound
recordings" both bundled with and *incorporated in* the product. The
instrument noises (those not algorithmically generated) are "sound
recordings" incorporated in the product.
 But even if the licence _didn't_ include the samples embedded in the
hardware, as you suggest, then default copyright law would apply, and
you would have no right to use those samples at all (barring any local
exceptions, eg. fair-use).

> What about the 808 electronic drum machine? Its samples are in hundreds of thousands of songs.

 From what I can tell, the 808 didn't use pre-recorded (ie.
copyrightable) samples, it generated the waveforms itself. So, bad
choice of example. ;)
 But samples are certainly copyrightable, so I fully expect record
labels will have licensing agreements with the various sampler
manufacturers, which cover the use of any built-in samples in their
commercial releases.

 To answer the original question: "Are [sampled] instrument sounds copyrighted?"
 Yes. Just as pre-made sprites or sounds in game-making tools are
copyrighted (veering dangerously toward being on-topic).

 "Do I have a licence to use the samples from my keyboard?"
 Only for personal use.

 - Mel C
 IANACLBIPOOTI