Re: [pygame] What's next for Pygame project?

As long as it doesn't interfere with the development of Ren'Py, I'd like to contribute as much as possible of the technology stack that underlies Ren'Py to the pygame project.

Pygame_sdl2 is the obvious choice for inclusion, as it was really meant to be an API-compatible successor to Pygame. I think it would benefit from being merged with pygame proper, as much of the missing functionality is based on C code found in the Pygame project.Â

The rapt and renios modules - which are used for Android support and iOS support, respectively - are also good candidates. Both are already capable of packaging arbitrary pygame(_sdl2) programs, at least in theory. A problem that needs to be solved is how to include arbitrary python modules in the distribution.

There's also a bit of code in Ren'Py that should really belong in pygame, that I've been avoiding adding because it's a completely new API. In-app purchase support is one of these, and achievement support is another - although the latter may be complicated by licensing issues.Â

A project I've been contemplating is extending Ren'Py's launcher to support arbitrary pygame code. For those not familiar, the Ren'Py launcher supports:

- Automatically downloading and installing text editors and other applications needed for development.
- One-click packaging for Windows, Mac, and Linux - including all three in a standalone zip file.
- Automatic installation of rapt and the various android tools, and creation of Android apps.
- Automatic installation of renios and creation of iOS apps.

While the launcher is part of Ren'Py, I'd be happy to add pygame-specific code to Ren'Py.

My one worry is that Linux distros would wait for stable releases of pygame_sdl2 before packaging Ren'Py, leading to substantial holdups. My hope is that could be solved by trying to keep master in a releasable state, and making it clear to distros that it's acceptable to package master up for releases.Â

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 12:45 AM Daniel Foerster <pydsigner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/10/2015 09:47 PM, Peter Shinners wrote:
> I haven't been paying close attention to Pygame, but it doesn't seem
> controversial to say things have stalled.
Not at all, unfortunately.
> * Getting 1.9.2 actually released
At the least we need a stable release so that Python 3 support can land
in official repositories.
> * Moving on to "Pygame 2", whatever that means
I don't know how the rest of the mailing list feels, but looking at SDL
2 (perhaps along the lines of Ren'Py's pygame_sdl2 project?) seems like
a decent starting point.
> * Catch up on the Bitbucket pull requests
> It seems there are still many great people involved with the Pygame
> project. Perhaps I can help by getting those people the control they
> need to make progress.
We're suffering from a lack of people who have the time and power to
review and approve the PRs as much as anything.
> * Website replacement and love
It's definitely overdue for an overhaul, I'd be willing to work on that
if I can get some information on what server-side tools are available
(time for some modern Python web frameworks and templating abilities!).
> * Migrate forum to Reddit (or community forum)
I would suggest checking out Discourse, it seems like a pretty well
engineered solution, much better than phpBB would be at the least!
> I'm completely detached from things at this point, so I don't have any
> context to jump in and try to change anything. What parts of the
> project are going well these days?
People are still writing cool stuff in Pygame and bugs seem to still be
getting fixed.