Re: [pygame] What's next for Pygame project?

Lenard

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Lenard Lindstrom <len-l@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Much of the delay is due to logistics. With the loss of the automated build site a few years back there is no simple way to check a commit against all supported operating systems. It also limits user testing.
What would we need?

I need someone to take over official Windows support from me, since I am stuck on Windows XP. I have the MinGW based dependency build chain working again for 32bit Windows, but did not get everything to build for 64bit Windows. So no official 64bit prebuilt libraries yet on the Bitbucket download page.

âI have surgery this week, but â
âif nobody âdoes this by then I will look into setting something up. I have win8 64bit.

The structure of SDL 2 differs from SDL 1.2. It does not fit well Pygame's api. So I expect a significant redesign of modules and classes for Pygame 2. For instance, the display module will basically go away, replaced with a Window class.

âI think there's (a lotâ?) of new non-backward compatible features? [multi windows, default hardware support, touch events, etc]. Are there other changes that were previously skipped because it wasn't backward compatible.

What I mean is maybe pygame2 should start with design changes, rather than worrying on making a completely backward compatible choices?

This is an opportunity to replace C coded extension modules with Cython and a Python level foreign function interface. Personally, I would like to see Pygame fully support PyPy as well as CPython. Also, some of the Pygame code can be separated out as stand-alone, Python independent, libraries to encourage support from outside the Pygame community.

âDo you knowâ
âwhat or how much needs to be done?â

* Website replacement and love
* Migrate forum to Reddit (or community forum)

--
Jake