Re: [pygame] pygame-1.1 source available

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 10:28:40AM -0700, Pete Shinners wrote:
> i'm thinking about adding a texture to to glcube example,
> so people can see how to use the image.tostring() to build
> a GL texture.

It might be useful to have a _very_ simple OpenGL example as well
as a complex one, so people can iron out problems with drivers
and so on that inevitably come up.

> francis, do you think it would be worthwhile to create a
> pygame package that worked with "testing" ? since the
> packages in testing change less frequently (and there are
> more users?) it might be a good idea? it should be possible
> i know SDL-1.2 and python2 have made it into testing, but
> perhaps some libraries like Numeric are missing?

Yes, it would be a good idea.  At the moment libsdl-image,
libsdl-mixer and libsdl-ttf versions 1.2 haven't made it
into testing.  In particular, pygame isn't very useful
without libsdl-ttf 1.2.

More realistically, I've been too lazy to setup the chroot
to do this properly.

Short Debian-evangelical digression:  To build packages for
distrubtions other than the one you are running, the ideal
way is to install that distribution and run it using chroot.

You use debootstrap to do this:
 debootstrap is used to create a Debian base system from scratch,
 without requiring the availability of dpkg or apt. It does this by
 downloading .deb files from a mirror site, and carefully unpacking them
 into a directory which can eventually be chrooted into.

Chroot sandboxes are very cool; they essentially let you run a
whole OS inside of the one that you are in anyway.  I've run a
Debian chroot bootstrap inside Mandrake.

> i think its time to see if we can get pygame an official
> debian maintainer? it's be nice if it was apt-get able.
> actually we could even maintain our own little debian
> repository, so people could apt-get pygame if they added
> our repository to their list. maybe that would be a better
> start?

Well, you've done one now ;-)  Tempted to change to Debian yourself?

Last release that we had, a Debian developer popped up who was interested
in helping, but they would rather mentor someone through the process of
becoming a Debian developer, and wouldn't maintain the package themselves.

I don't feel that I want to become a Debian developer at this time, so
what is really needed is someone who is already one, or who is prepared
to become one.  Or prepared to sponsor the package, although this
seems to be discouraged in the long term.

I've sent another mail to debian-python to look for some helpful
soul.  I tried this in February with no response, but things look
a bit more mature now.

If anyone here wants to become a Debian maintainer, or knows one
who would like to take on PyGame, please pipe up!

Francis

--
Home: francis@flourish.org  Web: www.flourish.org