[pygame] pygame-vcs & mcop/SIG_PIPE error

David Clark writes:
 > James Mazer writes:
 >  > a new and surprising new error message in pygame.init():
 >  >
 >  > mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
 >  >

 > Generally speaking, this indicates a conflict between SDL's audio
 > system, and some sound daemon running on your machine.  Look for artsd
 > or whatever the kde sound daemon is called, and try disabling it.

What a mess -- after much poking around, and finally upgrading to
redhat 7.2 (actually reinstalling from scratch), it turns out I
can't track down the problem..

There is no sound server running on the machine, but SDL does link
against the arts (kde sound) library, which makes the /tmp/mcop-XXXX
directory, as David indicated.  As far as I can tell, the problem
seems to be that my app runs setuid-root to get access to certain
devices (like DGA mode under X11) and then gives up root access
for safety.

The problem seems to be that mcop directory gets owned by root,
but the real user id is non-root and that confuses libarts.
When I compiled a version of SDL with --disable-audio
the problem went away.  Luckily I'm not using any of pygame's
audio functions.  Oddly enough, --disable-arts generated link
errors when pygame loaded.  Any idea what's the recommended way
to force SDL to use raw or oss for sound access??

/jamie

--
office: 510-643-3573                mail: 3210 Tolman Hall #1650
   lab: 510-642-1950                      U.C. Berkeley