Re: [pygame] road to 1.6

Gerrit Holl wrote:
How does the version numbering work? What is the policy for 'new features'?
Is it like Python or more like the Linux kernel?
there is no numbering rule, and it's been pretty willy-nilly as of late. up through pygame-1.5, every release just increased by a 'tenth'. this probably could have been kept. i wanted to try a 'patch' style release after 1.5 just to start testing some new features. unfortunately there were some other quick bugs discovered and we were at 1.5.3 before i knew it.

i believe after pygame 1.6 we'll be sticking to the old style 'tenth' version numbers. there have always been good development snapshots for people wanting to track cvs. unfortunately this is trickier for windows users to play with. depending on the situation i'll probably just release some 'windows binary snapshots' to go along with the source.

for the most part the releases for the general population, but i recommend the cvs code for actual game developers. the 1.5.x releases were going to be a middle ground for these but i ended up not liking it as much.

the next 1.5.x version will really just be a release candidate style package. i expect 1.6 is going to be the 'stable' version for quite awhile, so i want to give it some time to get tested.