Re: [pygame] using opengl in pygame?

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Eric Burgess wrote:

> In OpenGL, there's no performance bottleneck, but there's another
> limitation--the card's max texture size.  I believe that 512x512 is
> almost universally supported, and that even moderately new cards can do
> 2048x2048.  But you'll definitely want to research that.

Ack!  I totally failled to consider that this would be hardware dependent.
I suppose there must be some way to query OpenGL for the hardware's
supported texture size, and then just stitch together quads with textures of
that size.

But yes, OpenGL is fairly straightforward to use for 2D display.  Not so
much because OpenGL is easy to use (it's archaic procedural structure is
heinous), but because you don't actually need to do much more than setup
your viewport, load an image into a texture, and slap it onto a quad.

-Jasper