Re: [pygame] GIMP-like image enhancement?

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2004, at 6:07 PM, Jasper Phillips wrote:
>
> >> Yeah, but the functionality that you want from GIMP is probably really
> >> hard to decouple anyway.  You want a wheel but you have an 18 wheeler
> >> :)
> >
> > Not to hard, provided I could get pygimp to work.  I'd have to compile
> > and ship it to, which would be a headache.
>
> A huge one, probably.  I'm sure it would also entail quite a bit of
> bloat, especially on Win32 and OS X where you can't assume GTK and
> whatnot is already there.

I have to admit I was dreading having to deal with it, and was almost
thankfull for GIMP's GPL. ;-)  I hate dealing with that kind of stuff.
I would have thought that one could simply invoke GIMP from the commandline,
but after reading about it's batch mode I'll never touch it.

> Regardless of optimization, I don't think PIL has the functionality you
> would need.  Clothify isn't exactly a standard filter, and I doubt it's
> as easy as a convolution (if PIL even gives you that).

PIL has convolution filters, which is a start.  According to GIMP's
clothify.scm it uses noisify, guass blur, and contrast stretch to construct
an image to use in bump map.

I just need to figure out noisify, contrast stretch, and bump map.  They
sound like relatively simple filters, how hard could it be? ;-)

-Jasper