[pygame] pygame slow on linux (ubuntu)

Hey everybody,

I am writing a space invaders style game, and it works well on
windows. When I tried the game
under ubuntu linux(dapper), it was noticeably slow. After some
googling, I found this:
http://www.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl/2006-May/074254.html

I dont have access to any other distro of linux right now to check if
it is just a problem under ubuntu. I wasnt really able to see any
speed increase in pygame after opening up firefox, but i just casually
checked it and have not been able to do further tests as of yet.

Has anybody heard of this? Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks, s.