[pygame] getting pygame to work on Puppy Linux

Hi folks,

I've been gradually migrating everything on my machines from MSWindows to a few flavors of Linux. My favorite form of Linux so far is Puppy Linux, but I can't for the life of me get pygame working on it. Python was easy to install. I can get the main SDL library compiled, but not SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, SDL_image, smpeg. So I've tried copying the appropriate libs from rpms (though I know that is fraught with problems of incompatible versions).

When I try to run any pygame program it simply fails with the message:

"Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Floating Point Exception
Aborted"

Can anybody give me any pointers?

If nothing else can anybody tell me how to compile the SDL libs (SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, SDL_image, smpeg, etc) that pygame needs. The source downloadables don't give any clue that I can see, and simply dropping binaries in has yielded no joy.

Has anybody got pygame to work from start, without relying on python + SDL + other stuff already in the OS?

It is so easy to do on MS-Windows. I'm surprised it is so difficult in Linux.

Best wishes,

	- Miriam

--
A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?