Re: [pygame] 3D sample code

On Thu, June 7, 2007 10:56 pm, Will McGugan wrote:
> You're right that you cant use any of the regular SDL drawing functions
> with OpenGL - or any other accelarated 3D API. You can work with 2D
> graphics in OpenGL though, by drawing texture quads. If you wrap that in a
> simplified interface, then the code doesn't look much different from what
> you are used to in 2D PyGame.

Well, consider what I've been doing with Pygame 2D graphics: a scrolling,
flat 2D landscape with tiles, and a big (1000^2 tile) landscape, with
sprites on it. I could imagine using a version of that recently-posted
OpenGL demo to draw a segment of that landscape that varies in scale. In
other words you could zoom in and out while maintaining a flat overhead
view. It might even be faster than pure Pygame!

The problem with doing that is the trouble of drawing the interface and
text. It's been a while since I looked into the issue but I remember being
referred to PyGlyph, and having trouble with that.