Re: [pygame] no unlock: surfarray.pixels2d() and PixelArray() bug or intented?

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Marcus von Appen <mva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Also, if people aren't sticking to the docs, then the docs aren't effective

If people do no read the docs, they should not wonder about any bugs and
failures caused by using the stuff in a wrong way. Or would you blame
C standard docs for people not reading them and passing wrong stuff to
the functions?

I'm not saying the docs have any particular problem - my point is just that for whatever reason the docs didn't solve this for Jake. Maybe it's that he didn't read them, maybe he didn't know where they were, maybe it's that he read them but didn't notice the one line in 80 that mentioned this problem, maybe he even read the line and simply didn't grok it. Of course there will always be cases where people don't figure out stuff without help, so it may be no big deal - I just think that if anybody knows what could be changed to make stuff better, I'd like to hear it.

I agree with you that the whole locking problems we have within the
aurfarray and PixelArray code (and other parts maybe), have to be
solved.

cool. it seems to me that checking for the surface's lock count being put down to 0 before access and throwing an exception may keep really bad stuff from happening.