Re: [pygame] physics engine?

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM,
machinimist@xxxxxxxxx<machinimist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi,
>
> what 2d physics engine would you recommend for using with pygame?
>
> what happened to the SOC physics project? is it finished? will it be
> included in pygame?

Unfortunately not much work has been done on that since the gsoc last
year finished... and no one else has really picked it up.  It lives in
pgreloaded now.  However I don't know of any games using it.  Perhaps
if it got some users and a maintainer it might improve.  I think
Marcus might have plans for it, but not sure what they are.  Perhaps
it might get into pygame 1.9.1... but definitely not 1.9.0.

The main engines used by people are these two engines:

pybox2d
  http://pygame.org/project/723/
  http://code.google.com/p/pybox2d/

pymunk
  http://pygame.org/project/780/
  http://code.google.com/p/pymunk/

There are a number of successful games using them - and both projects
have people working on them, and they seem well maintained.

There's also py-lepton, which is a particle library... which does some
particle physics stuff, but not really a physics library:
  (no pygame project page)
  http://code.google.com/p/py-lepton/

and finally pyode - which is more complex, and seems harder for people
to finish games with, but does 3d stuff:
  (no pygame project page)
  http://pyode.sourceforge.net/

Also have a look on the pygame website for physics stuff.  There's
some simple stuff in there, which might be nice to learn from.
http://pygame.org/tags/physics

cheers,