Re: [pygame] physics engine?

René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM,
machinimist@xxxxxxxxx<machinimist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,

what 2d physics engine would you recommend for using with pygame?

what happened to the SOC physics project? is it finished? will it be
included in pygame?

Unfortunately not much work has been done on that since the gsoc last
year finished... and no one else has really picked it up.  It lives in
pgreloaded now.  However I don't know of any games using it.  Perhaps
if it got some users and a maintainer it might improve.  I think

It was not officially announced, so it's not uncommon that nearly noone
uses it. Zhang Fan lacks the time to spend more work on it and I lacked
the time for now to sort out the last issues with it in pgreloaded.

The SVN branch however is fully operational. Maybe we should package it and
make a seperate release for it - or integrate it into a seperate module with
pygame 1.9.x (which would be event better).

If you need fully-fledged 2D physics with all bits and piece, the physics
engine however will not be that interesting for you. It's intention is not
to be a competitor to box2d or chipmunk, but to act as small, fast and easy to
use module within pygame to give games a bit more fun.

Marcus might have plans for it, but not sure what they are.  Perhaps
it might get into pygame 1.9.1... but definitely not 1.9.0.

Integrate it smoothly in pgreloaded and improve the collision handling
backend to have other types of collision (circle, etc.) easier integrated
(which is the open issue on my tasks list and the reason why it's not fully
functional in pgreloaded at the moment) mainly. Then packport the changes into
the physics branch :-). It would make a nice addon for 1.9.1 as it can
completely work on its own and thus would not have any impact on the other
modules in pygame.

Regards
Marcus