Re: [pygame] Announcing SDL 1.2.0

>   I just read the announcement of SDL 1.2.0 ... Pete, does the 'native'
> support of OpenGL mean an easier incorporation of OpenGL in PyGame?
>
> > Here are some of the highlights in SDL 1.2 since 1.0:
> >  * Added OpenGL support as a native 3D API
> >  * Added YUV video display with hardware acceleration
> >  * More complete thread synchronization primitives
> >  * Added support for gamma ramp manipulation
> >  * Much improved alpha blending blit semantics

here sam is talking about the changes since the previous stable
release, 1.0.6 (i believe). this version was over a year old, so
these are just some of the highlights added over most of last year.

the opengl support has been in SDL for quite awhile. currently SDL
can setup the video display and opengl context so all opengl calls
draw directly to the window. (no support for offscreen rendering
though).

a couple times i've tried to get pygame and pyopengl working
together. technically this should work, but for some reason the two
are not quite talking together, pyopengl doesn't seem to "see" the
current opengl context setup by SDL. i'm pretty sure this will be
an easy thing to get fixed and working, but it will require a bit of
digging around in the internals of both libraries.
after pygame 1.0 i plan to revisit the opengl issue and make a real
effort at getting that going. i'd be glad to get help from any other
opengl gurus out there.

> >  * Added official support for the following operating systems:
> >    MacOS Classic, MacOS X, Solaris, IRIX, FreeBSD

btw, as far as these added platforms go. IRIX and freebsd support are
all working. i'm quite sure pygame will work on solaris as-is. and as
far as macos goes, i've got some initial reports that it works with
both classic and osx. these are from people who have hand-assembled
their own metroworks compiler projects and compiled it together. after
python2.1 is officially released i will move to fully support macos,
since 2.1 comes with a new distutils that supports macos.
if anyone out there has a mac and has the chance to do some development
work on it with me, be sure to let me know.