Re: [pygame] Announcing SDL 1.2.0

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Pete Shinners wrote:

>a couple times i've tried to get pygame and pyopengl working
>together. technically this should work, but for some reason the two
>are not quite talking together, pyopengl doesn't seem to "see" the
>current opengl context setup by SDL. i'm pretty sure this will be
>an easy thing to get fixed and working, but it will require a bit of
>digging around in the internals of both libraries.
>after pygame 1.0 i plan to revisit the opengl issue and make a real
>effort at getting that going. i'd be glad to get help from any other
>opengl gurus out there.

I haven't looked at pyopengl more than having a glance at the homepage.
How "full" is the OpenGL it provides, i.e. does it cover all the standard
(e.g. 1.2) calls? If so they have done most of the hard manual work, I
think. If it is seriously lacking something like 'sip' could be handy to
generate Python functions for the OpenGL calls.

It would be nice to see OpenGL supported some day, and we'd most likely
use it too for our game. OpenGL for games with a scripting language sounds
like it should be impossible to pull off, but I think it'll work just
fine. Just feed it huge display lists of vertex arrays and all job is done
in C...

I will happily test pygame.opengl, but I don't know anything about doing
Python bindings for C code.