Re: [pygame] Import Error with Imageext

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 22:46, Pete Shinners wrote:

> ugh, it seems like a messy libraries issue, which isn't totally
> uncommon these days (although your situation is unique). many problems
> have been solved by copying libs from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib.
> although this is an unclean solution, it's solved many a problem up to
> now. the first thing to check would be if normal "c" programs can use
> SDL_image without error. much farther than that and i quickly get into
> my "grey area" of linux and linking knowledge.
>
> hopefully some of the details in my mail can at least clear up what is
> going on in the different stages.

	You comments definately helped, I've solved the problem!

First of all, something doesn't look quite right here, does it:

[root@odyssey root]# rpm -q -a | grep -i sdl
SDL_image-1.2.0-3
SDL_net-1.2.2-1
libSDL_ttf1.2-1.2.2-3mdk
SDL-1.2.2-3
SDL_image-devel-1.2.1-1
SDL_mixer-1.2.0-4
SDL-devel-1.2.2-3

	The versions of SDL_image and SDL_image-devel don't match? Now how does
that happen? I checked out the a Redhat 7.2 mirror, and the version of
SDL_image installed there is 1.2.0-3. I checked out the www.libsdl.org
website, and the version of SDL_image-devel there is 1.2.1-1. So there's
the problem!

	I must have downloaded the devel package from the website, and
installed the SDL_image library previously (most likely through red
carpet).

	So there's nothing wrong with the install scripts, but maybe if someone
has a similar issue in the future, my experience will result in a good
place to look first!

	Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

Steve Castellotti