Re: [pygame] pygame.movie installation

Hi,

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 Pete Shinners spewed into the ether:
[-- snippity --]
> hmm, these are all the steps i would have recommended up to this point.
> try just doing "import pygame.movie". that will actually raise the
> proper exceptions if it doesn't import correctly. the import error
> should provide a pretty good clue as to what is going on.

Ok .. here goes :

$ python -c "import pygame.movie"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pygame/movie.so: undefined symbol: SMPEG_new_rwops

I can't figure this one out. I grepped around for this, and found it
only in src/movie.c, but in none of the header files. I'm not a
programmer, so I don't know what else to look for.

> run the command "smpeg-config --cflags --libs". take a look and see if
> there are any important flags missing.

$ smpeg-config --cflags --libs
-I/usr/include/smpeg -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT
-L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lsmpeg -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -lSDL -lpthread

Everything seems ok to me. And anyway, if something were missing,
wouldn't gcc barf on me ?

> oh, in the Setup file, perhaps the line for the movie module is still
> commented out? scroll down to the second section which lists the
> optional pygame modules. make sure the move module is not commented.

Yup. It is uncommented.

> if all that is in the "Setup" file, then running "python setup.py
> install" should either break during the compile or run successfully. if
> it breaks during the compile, then the flags for SMPEG need to be changed.

Well, it didn't break during install, so I presume the flags are
alright. But, it still throws up the same ImportError.

I can't figure out what the problem is. Anyway, I've started playing
around with the rest of pygame, meanwhile, and am starting to enjoy it
greatly :-) All would be well if I could get movie to work :-(

pv.
--
Prahlad Vaidyanathan  <http://www.symonds.net/~prahladv/>

Don't be overly suspicious where it's not warranted.