Re: [pygame] [OT] Sprite/pixel editor

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Gerrit Holl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an application which I can use to create sprite graphics
> or pixel graphics.
>
>     * Allegro won't compile, "file not found"
>     * Anima doesn't have a ./configure or a Makefile
>     * Kiconedit doesn't have an undo button
>     * Babygimp is buggy (circles are not properly filled, etc)
>     * Satan paint self-extractor "won't execute binary file"

Satan is quite old, but is probably one of the best programs in its kind
i've known of. It also has some bugs, which you can avoid once you get to
know them, but I really recommend it. I don't remember if it can undo; I
think it can. It was developed in-house for the graphics of some shareware
game that ran on Linux, I don't remember the name now, but the game was
pretty good, including the graphics, of course. Oh, the name of the game
is Abuse.

Maybe you should try installing compatibility libraries to get this thing
running.

BTW, it is only trully useful if you plan to code a game using a pallette
or limit every sprite to 256 colors, which is not that bad. Otherwise, you
should try with TheGimp, mostly drawing with the spline selector and the
pencil.

Greetings,
Arturo