[pygame] PCR & other notes

Hello all:

With the abscence of anyone volunteering to help with the PCR I will offer my services. I've got over 11 years of software development experience, ranging from developer to director of a fortune five hundred engineering department. My web experience started with setting up httpd-cern for US DOE installations and NOAA data distribution networks and eventually led me to Netscape for several years (pre-AOL, thank you). Most recently I was at Epinions.com as one of their senior engineering staff before deciding to quit my comfy job and move to the midwest to attend the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.

My first exposure to pygame was about 8 months ago. I wrote a mod on the chimp (as most have I'm sure) where the chimp followed some basic physics in it's movement. Naturally I changed the chimp out for GW Bush. Since I've been using it to visual various projects I'm doing for school and on my own. As such I've found it to be a tremendous tool for rapidly visualizing algorithms. I've enjoyed reading through the PCR. My focus is on organization of information systems and OO software engineering in such systems, but I am also interested in math and thus graphical algorithms I find interesting. I'm trying to be a better academic, but I prefer actually getting things done in the end.

I don't have a tremendous amount of time to commit to the PCR, but I'll try to make up for with consistency so you won't need to go in look of a maintainer again.

If you accept me as the maintainer, then my first goal would be to make the PCR more active in it's solicitation of code samples. I also think it would be helpful if various efforts were rolled into a pygame foundation classes effort. These include PYUI and PYGSEAR. I think that a unified UI toolkit and platform would be tremendously useful, especially if it allowed for skinning of the UI, as would generalization and integration of PCR algorithms. Furthermore I think that a framework for intelligent agents in pygame (ie, intelligent sprites, etc) would be tremendous. Most simple game agents do a lot of the same sort of thing -- follow an object, determine best next move, etc. It may be possible to generalize some of these problems, at least for certain classes of games.

robert