Re: OT: Remote objects WAS: Re: [pygame] InteractiveConsole

At 06:47 27/03/03 -0500, you wrote:
How would such a system differ from, say, Samba (which lets clients
talk to each other from different machines)? I still don't see why I
would ever want to run a function on another box, except maybe in a
render farm for a raytracer.

Alan
Think about web services, databases, app server...
All those things IBM & Sun marketing guys are pushing forward - the new hype tech thingie...
All joking apart, CORBA, SOAP or XML-RPC and the likes are becoming more or less standards in the distributed computing universe. From some talks I had with people working in big corporations I understood these APIs are quite useful when your network consist of various Unixes, winNT boxes and mainframe computers and you have to get everything working smoothly...

If I remember well some websites out there offer SOAP-powered webservices - Google at least does.

my 2 cts.....
sylvain