Re: [pygame] creating standalone app and install package on Mac

On Mar 17, 2005, at 11:24 AM, Jindra Sarson wrote:

Hi all mac developers,

I solved my problem with Py2App, now I have app folder, that partialy works. Why partialy? If I try to run it from Finder, after some seconds of loading the program disapears and nothing happens. No error message etc. But if I try to run program manually from terminal (dist/test.app/Contents/MacOS/test), it runs quite OK. Where can be the problem?

Use /Applications/Utilities/Console.app or tail /Library/Logs/$USER/console.log. You didn't provide enough information to even guess. Chances are, the way you wrote the application or packaged it depends on something in the environment that is not present when running from Finder, but since you gave absolutely no details on what test is or does, you're not going to get a better guess than that.

Another question is about creating instalation image. I tried bdist_mpkg - python setup.py bdist_mpkg, using same setup.py as I used for creating app. It doesn't works, it just created empty directory.

bdist_mpkg is not for applications, this is correct behavior. You do not need nor want installer packages for applications. bdist_mpkg is essentially a way of serializing what would happen with "python setup.py install", just like all of the other bdist commands on all of the other platforms.

Next question - how is possible include python into my app? I want to have my app platform independend - as for example SolarWolf is. Is there any option in py2app, that do this?

This is done by default, UNLESS the Python was provided by Apple. In that case, it will NEVER be included. If you want it to embed an entire Python, you're going to have to use one that isn't provided by Apple.

-bob