[pygame] Re: Mac OS X MIDI support success (MacPorts)

In article <4F4C3F5D.4040600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Christopher Arndt <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

> Some people here on the list seemed to have had problems getting MIDI to
> compile / work on Mac OS X with the latest pygame.
>
> I'm not sure which was the OS X version in question, but I have
> successfully compiled pygame from mercurial with MIDI support under OS X
> 10.6 and Python 2.7 from MacPorts.

i'm one of those folks.

I was trying to build a pygame binary installer for the 32-bit
python.org python. A binary installer requires static libraries for
anything not likely to be found in the user's machine. So I build
dependencies from source and throw away the dynamic libraries, rather
than using MacPorts or similar package managers.

My problem is that I just can't figure out how to build portmidi from
source -- at least on Mac OS X 10.4 (which is my usual platform for
building such installers, as it turns out to be more reliably backward
compatible) with gcc 4.0.1 (required for Mac OS X 10.4). The
instructions are here:
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/portmedia/wiki/Installing%20portmidi%20
on%20Mac> but they don't work.

All other dependencies build fine. Thus the current mac binary pygame
installer for 32-bit Python 2.7 does not have midi support (unless
somebody has updated it).

-- Russell