[pygame] Re: Mac OS X MIDI support success (MacPorts)

In article <4F501B7F.3060603@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Christopher Arndt <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

> On 02.03.2012 01:07, Russell E. Owen wrote:
> > My problem is that I just can't figure out how to build portmidi from
> > source -- at least on Mac OS X 10.4 (which is my usual platform for
> > building such installers, as it turns out to be more reliably backward
> > compatible) with gcc 4.0.1 (required for Mac OS X 10.4). The
> > instructions are here:
> > <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/portmedia/wiki/Installing%20portmidi%20
> > on%20Mac> but they don't work.
>
> What exactly isn't working? The instructions on the wiki are bogus, yes,
> but I was able to build portmidi from SVN on 10.6 with the following
> sequence of commands:
>
> svn co
> https://portmedia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/portmedia/portmidi/trunk
> portmidi
> cd portmidi
> cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
> make
>
> (Note: there's no '.' (dot) after the make command.)
>
> This gives me libportmidi_s.a and libportmidi.dynlib, libpmjni.dynlib
> and the test programs compiled as well. I tested MIDI output with the
> 'test' program and fluidsynth and everything seemed ok.
>
> I had installed a few programs and libraries with MacPorts before so I
> already had all the dependencies, in particular "cmake". I think cmake
> used the default C compiler gcc-4.2, but you should be able to specify
> the compiler to use with:
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -G "Unix Makefiles"
>
> (I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do this, but it seems to work.)
>
> You may also need to set the SDK and the min OS X version (whatever that
> means) to use:
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 \
>     -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING=-mmacosx-version-min=10.4 \
>     -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk \
>     -G "Unix Makefiles"
>
> Let me know, if these instructions work for you on 10.4 or if you want
> me to send you the static library compiled with gcc-4.0 and the above
> settings, to check if they work on 10.4.
>

> Chris

Thank you very much. I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.
If it fails then I'll certainly be interested in trying a library from
you if you can provide a static library.

-- Russell