Re: [pygame] Re: Mac OS X MIDI support success (MacPorts)

On 02.03.2012 01:07, Russell E. Owen wrote:
> My problem is that I just can't figure out how to build portmidi from
> source -- at least on Mac OS X 10.4 (which is my usual platform for
> building such installers, as it turns out to be more reliably backward
> compatible) with gcc 4.0.1 (required for Mac OS X 10.4). The
> instructions are here:
> <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/portmedia/wiki/Installing%20portmidi%20
> on%20Mac> but they don't work.

What exactly isn't working? The instructions on the wiki are bogus, yes,
but I was able to build portmidi from SVN on 10.6 with the following
sequence of commands:

svn co
https://portmedia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/portmedia/portmidi/trunk
portmidi
cd portmidi
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
make

(Note: there's no '.' (dot) after the make command.)

This gives me libportmidi_s.a and libportmidi.dynlib, libpmjni.dynlib
and the test programs compiled as well. I tested MIDI output with the
'test' program and fluidsynth and everything seemed ok.

I had installed a few programs and libraries with MacPorts before so I
already had all the dependencies, in particular "cmake". I think cmake
used the default C compiler gcc-4.2, but you should be able to specify
the compiler to use with:

cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -G "Unix Makefiles"

(I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do this, but it seems to work.)

You may also need to set the SDK and the min OS X version (whatever that
means) to use:

cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 \
    -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING=-mmacosx-version-min=10.4 \
    -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk \
    -G "Unix Makefiles"

Let me know, if these instructions work for you on 10.4 or if you want
me to send you the static library compiled with gcc-4.0 and the above
settings, to check if they work on 10.4.

Chris