Re: [pygame] Introductions and question about transparency

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Jérôme Loisel wrote:

>A note first: the URL I gave earlier for the images is down for the moment.
>My brother seems to have decided that today is a good day to move the server.
>:-) Will be up again later tonight if we are lucky.

Ah, that explains it. I wanted to have a look too (we're in the same
bussiness) to see what you've done. Will try later.

>Pete Shinners -- Lundi 21 Mai 2001 17:27:

>>     bigtile_surface = pygame.image.load(tile_filename).convert()
>>     colorkey = 255, 255, 255
>>     bigtile_surface.set_colorkey(colorkey)
>
>I would really like the image's transparency to work normally, but I did try
>your advice. I learned a bit doing it too. :-) It did not work immediately,
>but I remembered your docs and called set_colorkey on the subsurfaces
>instead. That worked.

We use this approach for all our images and icons (300+ by now), and it
works ok, as long as the gfx are designed from the beginning with one
color in mind as the transparent color. We use white (I think!), as some
color like 255,255,254 looks really white too, so the player never notices
the lack of the "absolute" white color. But I think that converting
existing images that use some kind of other transparency to colorkey can
be a bit of a pain, but I'm not sure.

>PS: Great work on SolarWolf, by the way. One of the most all-around polished
>free games available for Linux, in my humble opinion. You should do a binary
>distribution with 'freeze', though. That is possible with pygame, isn't it?

Is it? I'd also be happy to discuss possible ways of distributing games.
As it is now I have no clue as how to do it "the Python way". I can whack
up a "make install" or a RPM for it, but I don't know how to do it on
Windows. All my tests with "freeze" or similar tools have led to either a
big pile of errormessages, something that just segmentation faults or
something that just does not work. This is something where Python as an
overall environment needs to be improved, I think.