[pygame] Wow, big speedup in 1.49 for HWSURFACE|DOUBLEBUF and subsurface

I just downloaded the new version of Pygame seeing that Pygame Pete (
not to be confused with Python Pete at www.pythonpete.com)
had made a fix for the performance oddity that I had been seeing.

Yehey, from 18 to 38 fps by just installing the new version and
rolling back some performance tuning that I added since the
measurements I posted here. With the optimizations added I am now
experiencing a frame rate of about 50 fps with
FULLSCREEN|DOUBLEBUF|HWSURFACE and about 46 with FULLSCREEN|SWSURFACE.

Does the world out there know how great pygame is? pygame should
really be known as THE alternative for amateur game programming, in
addition to lot's of other things you could use it for.

One thing I was wondering about, is it easy to gradually convert a
Python Pygame program to a C++ SDL program? I just thought about how
difficult it could be to prototype/design the game with Pygame and
if/when one encountered performance or other issues that couldn't be
solved in python, recoding that part in C++ using the SDL library (or
some C++ wrapper around that), and exposing that code as a Python
object.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad