Re: [pygame] Advice on Game Engine

On May 3, 2005, at 11:53 PM, Stuart wrote:

You can't combine ANY GUI toolkit (wxPython, GTK, etc.) with pygame
in a cross-platform fashion, because SDL sacrifices that feature for
platform independence and ease of development.  If you're using
wxPython, you're going to have to toss pygame, or run them in
separate processes (threads is not good enough cross-platform).

Not quite what I have found, pygame seems to work very will hand in hand with
wxPython, however its event model does seem to have problems last time I
checked, so I just use the rendering portions.

Yes, you can use pygame Surfaces cross-platform when using any event loop. You should even be able to use them from separate threads (though not the same surface from multiple threads). They're done entirely in software, without any platform code.

You almost definitely can't reliably use the screen in a cross- platform and reliable fashion when you've got other event loops going on.

-bob