Re: [pygame] PyGame Surfarray still depends on Numeric

Here's a binary for windows python2.5:
http://rene.f0o.com/~rene/stuff/Numeric-24.2.win32-py2.5.exe

I've added a link to this on the download page, so people should be
able to find it easier.  I'll update the other documentation
explaining the whole Numeric/Numpy experience in the future.

The plan for Numeric/Numpy is as follows:
make a surfarray(and sound) which tries to load the surfarray_numeric
module.  Failing that it will try to load a surfarray_numpy
module(which doesn't exist).  Otherwise people can import either one
directly.

There's a patch from the Numpy author to change pygame around to use
numpy instead of numeric.  This patch needs some adjustment before
applying because:

- numpy is not as fast in real life pygames as numeric.
- numpy is not fully backwards compatible with numeric.  It breaks
surfarray examples, and real pygames.
- numpy has non-free documentation.  Since documentation is considered
by me to be part of software - then I consider numpy to be non-free,
so I won't go out of my way to support non-free software.

I will help with putting it in as an optional- non default import -
possibly changing to default in the future.  The author of Numpy has
submitted a patch, which should be able to be used to easily add
support as I have described.

There is also support for numpy as surfarray within pygame-ctypes -
which may be used with pygame with a few modifications.

Supporting numpy is on the todo list, however I'd rather do other things first. If someone wants to do the work required... great - let me know. http://www.pygame.org/wiki/todo

Chairs,