Re: [pygame] Buried In Game Ideas

Kris Schnee wrote:
> That's not quite true though. I'd sketched out how it could be a
> coherent game. The way I'd planned it, I was looking to buff up the
> engine and build a simple open-ended RPG, where you wander mostly
> aimlessly through random islands and caves, then maybe use that as a
> springboard for a more complex idea I have in mind. The appeal of the
> simple RPG would be that it's procedural rather than truly random, so
> that you can say to other players, "Check out the island at (42,0); it's
> got neat stuff," and it'll be the same for them as for you. People would
> end up mapping the game world together. I've also got old code for a
> battle system I could use for it. But would it be fun in its own right?

I can't play your demo because I'm running Linux. But I like games
where you can explore and discover things. I'm not sure procedurally
generating them is the way to go, though. It reminds me of Daggerfall,
which was sort of fun, but dungeon crawls could take days of real time
with little to no rewards.

> Meanwhile I've got a couple of other ideas I'd like to work on:
> -A Joust clone with a little plot (probably not too hard to do)
> -A storytelling game based on the Arabian Nights (requires AI to do right)
> -The long-neglected AI (which can use the existing ocean-game code as
> its "world")
> -A base-building RPG (simpler than an RTS) which is the other half of
> the complicated version of the ocean game. (Have some neat code already)
>
> None of those are especially high priorities. I'd like to build
> something that's within my skill level, that I can finish in a
> reasonable time, that I can learn something from, and that's fun for
> people to play. I'm content to work in 2D, and have no intention to do
> an online game. Any thoughts?

My experience is that every game takes more time and effort than you
think it would. So maybe pick the simplest?

Ethan